On Sun, 2004-12-12 at 17:38 -0600, Michael J. Hammel wrote:
> The GIMP *is* a silly name and I've always had a problem with it.  In
> the US (perhaps elsewhere) "gimp" implies "hobbled" or "broken":  "His
> gimp leg kept him from running the race" or "Her gimp hand prevented her
> from reaching the jar on the top shelf".  See this definition:
> http://www.cogsci.princeton.edu/cgi-bin/webwn?stage=1&word=gimp It
> doesn't have to imply a guy strapped in leather just because of a
> movie.  The word itself is inappropriate for software if you're trying
> to feed it to the unwashed masses.  I said this when GIMP was chosen as
> a name back when it moved from Motif to GTK (though I'd be hard pressed
> to find the mailing list entry that proves this).  But no one listened,
> or at least they didn't agree, then.  And that's okay.  It really isn't
> that big a deal.  It probably isn't keeping that many people from using
> it.  But it is a silly name.  And I have wished for years that it would
> be changed to something more inviting.

I couldn't agree more (and that movie you're referring to I haven't even
seen), but if the masses don't want it changed (which is the impression
I got from the last thread asking the opinion of a name change) then
don't change it. It's that simple. And if we won't change it then don't
let anyone change it, because I've come to realize that giving [dump]
people choices will hurt them. Even if it was up the the user to call
the GIMP something else (say ImageBlah), would you actually tell your
friend "I'm using ImageBlah"  ...? I certainly would not, because they
go to google and imageblah doesn't exist !!! So that's why I think the
decision has to be collective. All or none.