i forgot to send this to the user list.  sorry.

To: XX <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: [Gimp-user] Re: Palette options

On Mon, Jan 03, 2005 at 06:52:05PM +0100, XX wrote:
> >>On Sat January 1 2005 22:44, Andy wrote:
> >> I'm a new user and would like to know if there is a possibility to save
> >> palette and load/apply it to other images.
> >>
> >you can get and save palettes from images.  this works better on indexed
> >palettes and the same palette can only be "applied" to other palettes if
> >you are converting an RGB image to indexed.
> >
> That is excactly what I'm interested in.

<Toolbox>-->Dialogs-->Palettes will draw the palette dialog or bring it
up.  The second button from the left will add a new palette called
"Untitled" and launch the Palette Editor.  Back to the first Palette
Dialog, right click on the "Untitled" entry will give you a menu and
selecting the "Import Palette ..." option.  Selecting this makes a brand
new dialog "Import a New Palette".  Toggle the Image option and select
your Image in the radio menu there.

iirc, if you run this on an rgb image, it will take the first 256 colors
(the darkest 256 out of millions).  if you run it on an indexed image,
it will take the 256 colors that are there.

once you have an acceptable palette, use the Image-->Mode-->Index...
dialog to use this palette when indexing the other image.

you can control the number of colors in your palette by using the Index
Dialog to limit the image to that many colors.

i used to make gradients from these palettes and gradients with 256
colors are not very useful.  using the index dialog to limit the colors
to something less than 16 made much better gradients.

i used all of these palette things to make a human face look like mona
lisa long ago, and it worked very well.

playing with the options (the defaults seem to be set so that gimp will
not crash) and being patient with the many dialogs is the best way to
approach this task.

carol

----- End forwarded message -----