I just got a new Graphire3 tablet (yay!) and have been trying to get it
to work properly in gimp.
It works fine in X normally.
And works fine in Windows and in Photoshop Elements in Windows.

However, in gimp under linux (I haven't tried in gimp for win), it does
some odd things.

First, after switching to the pen, it will seemingly lock the input
device.  The pen will only work within the drawing window (except for
movement, it will move wherever).
When it does this, my normal mouse cannot do anything other than move
the cursor around.
After much running around with the cursor in and out of the drawing
window, the input is eventually released back to the system and I can
switch devices (other end of pen - which will end up with same results,
or my normal mouse - which will work normally, I don't use the mouse
from the tablet.) or use the current end of pen as a normally (until I
start drawing with it again anyhow).

Second, after drawing with the pen for a short time, gimp starts reading
the motion of the pen when not actually on the tablet as tool input.
Basically, where I should be able to lift the pen off the tablet and use
it at just a cursor to move or whatever, gimp continues to draw with it
as if I was using very light pressure until the pen is out of the
tablet's reading range (about 1/2 inch).  Needless to say, this is
rather annoying.

I'm using gimp 1.2.5 and 2.0.4 on gentoo with kernel 2.6.10-gentoo-r4,
xorg-x11 6.8.0-r3, and linuxwacom 0.6.6 (including the wacom X driver).

:)

Thanks.

Mark II