On Fri, Jan 14, 2005 at 03:18:18PM -0700, Ken Tanaka wrote:
> I'd like to have the mouse cursor arrow appear in the window of an
> acquired screenshot. This is for when I want to illustrate a pulldown
> menu item. When I use the Acquire screenshot functionality of the GIMP,
> the cursor doesn't appear. Is there a way to have the cursor show up?
> Perhaps a different screenshot program, but all the ones I've seen on my
> system also leave the cursor arrow out of the screenshot.
> I'd rather not have to draw a cursor on the image later. Might not be so
> bad if there was a brush shape that looked like an arrow. Is it possible
> to add a cursor arrow brush? If so it's probably already been done, but
> I don't know where to get it.
> I'm using GIMP 1.2.3
> KDE 3.1.3-6.6 Red Hat
> Linux Red Hat Enterprise Linux WS release 3 (Taroon Update 4)
> (2.4.21-27.0.1.EL)
> If this is in the documentation please let me know, I couldn't find it
> there or online in mail list archives or GIMP website.
this is a condition of the xserver.

i do not remember the technical details, but when i started to try to
document gimp things, the developers told me then that they were smart
enough to know where the curser graphics were stored and used that if
they needed the curser to appear on the screenshot.

other solutions (which may or may not work, i dont really know) would be
to use directfb to draw your display, or perhaps cairo.

i have not followed up on this information in years, it might be wrong.

in defense of the xserver.  it is decades old!  could you imagine things
like a tablet way back in the '80s?  maybe i could have imagined it, but
i still have a problem imagining how it would work.  i think it is
fairly impressive that the design has worked so well for so long.

sorry to type bad news unless it is incorrect....