Michael Schumacher wrote:

Could you point to a screenshot that shows this dialog?

Certainly. http://www.princeton.edu/~mplough/tmp/fileopen.png .

* Like a GUI, it always shows which files are in the current directory.

Like the GTK+ file chooser :)

Yep! I was just contrasting the behavior with a shell, where you have to type ls to do so. :)

* Like a GUI, it allows directories to be added to favorites -- so
it doesn't take 250 years to get to a frequently used directory
that isn't close to programs/gimp/2.0/bin.

Like the GTK+ file chooser :)

Cool! I hadn't noticed that, even though there was a big shiny "Add" button.

    * Like a bash shell (or whatever shell you folks use), it has a text
      input for file names that allows tab completion.  Furthermore,
      typing part of a directory name in the current directory and
      hitting / takes you into that directory.  Typing ../ takes you up
      a directory, as is logical.  The filename which would be expanded
      if tab were pressed is always highlighted; hitting Enter when the
      correct filename is highlighted opens that file.

Ctrl+l. This is the only feature I missed at first, but now I'm hardly use the keyboard anymore because of the features above.

Would you mind elaborating a little on this? The only GTK program I use at this point is the GIMP; I'm on Windows and my video card manufacturer doesn't seem to care a whole lot about Linux.

Matt