I'm having what seem to be performance issues with editing some images about 4000x2200 pixels (they're panoramas of multiple photos), and would like some advice on the best settings in GIMP for RAM use, or whether what I'm seeing is normal.

I have 640MB in this machine, and GIMP is set to use a tile cache size of 400MB. By the look of GIMP's info in the window of the photo I'm editing, it's only taking 161MB once flattened, so I don't think RAM use is the problem, but could be wrong - I'm not familiar with exactly how GIMP best uses memory :).

In any case, the specific problem I'm getting is while colour balancing of the final image, and each shift of the slider requires a bit over 20 seconds to complete the colour change over the image, which seems slower than it should be. It's just a little difficult to really get an idea how the before/after compare when it doesn't flick from one adjustment to another in time to see it 'real time'.

thanks in advance,