Hi Dana!

I am afraid you've hit a design issue with the GIMP -
when adjusting colors via tools, i t simply operates on the whole
image for each preview step.

The options let to you right now are workarounds:
Either select a small part of the image, preview on that part, hit
cancel, select all the imagem, anbd adjust to the optimal previewd
values later. Or - if yoou need to see the effect in the wholke
image, make a copy of the image, scale it so it gets smaller (like
800x600), and select your adjustment values on the scaled down
version. Them apply these values to the larger image.

Sorry, but currently the GIMP does not automate that, and it, in this
case, has not to do with RAM, it is raw CPU power that counts.

Regards,
        JS
        -><-