On Sun, Feb 13, 2005 at 04:24:13PM +0100, Christian David wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I downloaded the Picture "Eastern Hemisphere 2048 by 2048 pixels
> (7.1 MB TIFF)" from
> http://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/Newsroom/BlueMarble/ .
>
> After this I tried to put another layer over the black part. But
> what ever I tried, the black part of the picture covers it. Another
> strange thing is, that die black part is allways shown, even when
> al* layers are deactivated.

i don't understand the tiff file format and rarely work with it since
it seems to change according to the whim of some of the companies
handling it secretly.

the error message from gimp is somewhat revealing, however:
alpha channel type not defined for file
~/.gimp-2.3/tmp/gimp_temp_157230.tif. Assuming alpha is not
premultiplied

> What is that, and how to remove it?

it seems like the error is that libtiff doesnt understand what has been
done to this file.

i suggest using the jpeg found on the same page:
http://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/Newsroom/BlueMarble/Images/globe_east_2048.jpg
it is a fraction of the size of the tiff and gimp understands it.

carol