This image is too small - that is were you are finding difficulties.

You have to enlarge it - I'd say 400% would do - convert it to RGB
mode first (image->modes->rgb) ,then scale it up, enhance the
contrast (I like doing this using the layers->colors->curves tool,
applying an 's' shape. Brightness Contrast   tool should work fine
here too).

At this stage, you probably will want to retouch the picture with the
pencil tool. It is so small that some details - on the windows and on
the clock, are not separatable even doing a manual retouch - you
willhave to redraw the clock dots and window frames, unless you hhvae
a scaled upo version of this image.

Them,. select by color, click on black, convert selection to path.
Then, fine tune your path, trowing away undesired points - this will
smooth the curvers.

It should work.