On Thursday 17 February 2005 08:42, matt-nc wrote:
> I have a layer that I want to make partially transparent by
> deleting out a checkerboard pattern in it.  What would be the
> easiest way to do this?
Oh..sorry - these steps I mentioned are for a blank layer.
For a layer with images already you might:
Add new layer,
filters->render->pattern->checker
Select by color
click on layer
switch back to your target layer,
edit->cut

OR:
Right click on layer icon, on layer dialogs box,
Add a layer mask
filters->render->pattern->checker (having B&W as your default colors)
 (ensuring you are editng layer mask, barely visible due to a white
border around the layer icon - we need suggestions on how to improve
the indicator that the layer mask is active)