Hello list,
my customer say me that he want a new graphic workstation. He said:
"give me a good machine with win xp and photoshop for handle tiff image
that can have 400/500 MB ", and have replied: "xp and photoshop? No!
linux and gimp!".
I install it, but after a day of tries, I see that gimp can't work very well with these big images! My tries:
hardware: cpu amd 2600+, 1GB ram, hd 80GB Maxtor, ati 7000 64MB

OS              gimp    time open(400MB)        time curves
linux mdk 10.0  2.0     40 sec                  80 sec
linux mdk 10.0  1.2     20 sec                  70 sec
win xp          2.2     35-40 sec               70 sec

OS              gimp    time open(300MB)        time curves
linux mdk 10.0  2.0     20 sec                  40 sec
linux mdk 10.0  1.2     15 sec                  35 sec
win xp          2.2     35-40 sec               40 sec

Time curves is a modify of a color curves. (image -> color -> curves)

I see that on linux OS, there are a lot of cpu work (with top) about
100 % all the time. On win OS, there are a lot of HD work, and
the cpu work about 40-50 % (see on task manager).

I try to install photoshop on win and it work very well with these
images and bigger images.

Is this correctly, so gimp don't work well with these big image?

P.s. This is not a critical about gimp, only a little question.

Thanks for replies and for gimp work,
Michele Petrazzo
Italy