Carol...
Please...

This is fair play.

It is a known fact that the map tools in the GIMP have no optimization
for previewing, and they should have.

The way out of this would do some hackish direct drawing to perform
the preview on a scaled down/chopped version of the layer - which I
suggested about 2 years ago, or, implement everything clean, with a
model of "operate on view-version of  drawables and then operate in
background on real drawables" using GEGL.

The GIMP either starts making use of GEGL - for which we are
ultimately lacking developer resources, or lag behind other apps in
this area.

The fact is it would be really nice to have someone to work full time
in these issues. Last year, we decided not to hasle about a  Gimp
Foundation and work close to Gnome Foundation instead. What are the
odds of  Gnome Foundation be able to afford someone to work full time
on the GIMP? Or maybe Mark Shuttleworth? Or some other Linux Distro?

In time, I am in no way  complaining of what Jay, Sven, Mitch, Bill
and others are doing...sometimes I am just amazed with the changes
that go overnight on CVS. It is just that there seens to be more work
than can be done in the spare time of anyone. Even Sven's excellent
plan to categorize gradients, paletts, fonts and brushes seens to be
in limbo.

Regards,

        JS
        -><-