Now, what I think would be really wonderful along these lines would be a
setup whereby The Gimp can be easily "skinned" to a rearranged UI like
That way, we can have a Gimp skin that is familiar to Photoshop users, a
Gimp skin that is familiar to FireWorks users, etc., and perhaps even some
that are simply designed to be streamlined for a particular purpose -
photo touchups, for example.

Would make transitioning easier from the other major editors, and would
even give the Gimp a leg up none of them have - you could switch UIs
between one that you feel is easier for one task to one that is easier for
another without actually changing programs - or paying for multiple
programs, or needing space on disk for more programs.