On Tue, 5 Apr 2005, Sara Schein wrote:

> Date: Tue, 5 Apr 2005 13:56:14 -0400
> From: Sara Schein <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> To: gimp-user@lists.xcf.berkeley.edu
> Subject: [Gimp-user] Newbie - looking for info on 'stencils'
>
> Hi there - I'm a newb to the linux/gimp world, and previously only
> dwelt on Photoshop elements in WinXP.

> I've been lurking the typical web pages and reading up on the
> tutorials, and was wondering if someone somewhere has a simple way to
> make a 'stencil' image.  (Think stencils like spray painting type,
> though I use it for stamp carving.)  In photoshop, all one really does
> is make a greyscale (for which there is a good tute) and fiddle with
> the contrast a bit.  (Here's a sample tute for PS:
> http://home.agalis.net/bcostley/Letterbox/PSinst.htm, though the ones
> for stencils are generally better made)

It should be possible to recreate that process and maybe use a Script-Fu
to automate it a little.  (Thanks for providing a relevant link to
explain what you meant, it really helped.)

Hopefully this sketch tutorial will be relevant.
http://www.gimp.org/tutorials/Sketch_Effect/

> If someone could point me in the right direction, I'd surely appreciate it.
>
> Also - Again I'm new, but aside from the archives, is there an easy
> way to read back on the list?  I feel terrible, because I'm sure
> something like this has been beaten to death already.

I usually just use google and then restrict the search to just one site
using the keyword site:mail.archive.website.com which works reasonably
well and add a few well chosen simple keywords like "gimp" and whatever
else I might be looking for.