Crushers shouldn't give you larger filesize... by default all of them have the overwrite_if_bigger function set to off.

Another PNG tool that is handy: TweakPNG

This displays all the PNG chunks being used, and allows you to see what is changing in a PNG file exactly.

-----Original Message-----
From: Jim Clark [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Thursday, April 14, 2005 5:05 PM
To: Kalle Ounapuu
Cc: gimp-user@lists.xcf.berkeley.edu
Subject: RE: [Gimp-user] png compression

Things get odder and odder.

I need to put 10 screen shots on a web page and was hoping to shave 100K from the final page.

So I took one of my images and indexed it.
Before index: 27004
After index: 30705.

It got larger? I downloaded and installed a png crusher and ran it against both files:

27004 after crush became: 19419 or a 28% reduction
30705 did not change--all the crushed versions were larger.

So now I have 4 images which all look about the same, ranging in size from 19419 to 30705. Quite a hit or miss process. One would think indexing and crushing would yield the smallest image, but it did not.

Thanks again-

Jim Clark