On Wed, Apr 20, 2005 at 06:53:55PM -0400, Matthew H. Plough wrote:
> Carol Spears wrote:
> >
> >some of the developers keep saying things about a new gimp release and
> >needing a new splash.
> >
> >should we have another contest?
> >
> >i admit, i have been avoiding treading on the success of the last one,
> >however there seems to be need of both new development and stable
> >splashes ....
> >
> >any thoughts?
> >

> Blender has been holding a splash contest before every release, and it
> gets some pretty impressive stuff.  So yeah, go ahead and have another
> one!  Make it a tradition to have a contest, but make sure that the
> accepted submissions not only look great but also maintain a consistent
> GIMP "brand," rather than vacillating and recreating the brand with
> every release.  There is no cohesion between the 1.2, 2.0, and 2.2
> splashes, and this makes the GIMP look more like a beta-type work in
> progress than the mature program that it really is.
well, i had nothing to do with the selection of the splash. ever, if i
remember correctly.  and i can make no promises about that.

i am still smiling about the 600+ entries in the first contest.  i am
only concerned with getting the submissions from everyone and showing
them to everyone else, including the developers.  at least making them
available to be seen.

whenever you get a bunch of images together, you can get a bunch of
opinions; getting the images is the important thing.

beyond getting the contest up again, i can probably be around for the
next few releases to get it going right before -- i can read developer
sign also for when it might be time for a new contest ....

you should tell your opinions about which splash is picked to the people
who do the chosing, what you are saying makes sense to me.