On Sun, Apr 24, 2005 at 11:43:00AM -0600, jim feldman wrote:

>  my options are tiff, jpg and pdf.? Of possible interest is that if
> I read in (using TC set to 400mb) one of the big tiff's, write it
> back out as a xcf (GIMP native), set the TC up to 600, read back the
> xcf, and it still crashes with the same errors.
>
>  why doesn't GIMP like TIFF?

to be completely honest with you, i rarely work with tiff and most of
the information i have is based on what i have read here on this list &
on the developer list.

the gimp uses image libraries that other people have written and
maintain.  you have libraries for tiff and jpeg and gif (many more as
well).  tiff is one of the older formats.  if my information is correct,
it was designed and then redesigned several times after the original.

another thing about tiff and gimp is their origins.  tiff is not as free
as gimp.  i suggested png because it is smaller and contains all of the
color information from your scanner that gimp can use right now.
generally, png is much much smaller.  this information about your
scanner is from what i can see, still propietary information (meaning
that if you want to use it correctly you still need to buy the software
and hire a human to do some work with you, your scanner, your monitor
and your printer) and probably not information that you need.

i have really seen it where gimp doesnt change, libtiff doesnt change
yet there are all of a sudden a bunch of tiffs that dont work in the
free software chain.

are you using linux?  i am surprised if you are using linux that you do
not have an option for png.  this format is newer and designed after
people had a better idea of what they wanted from their computers and
their images.  also, it has been free from the start so the writers of
all image software know exactly what is there and how to use it.

in your original question, you seemed to understand that there was being
some file size issues, and some one might help you with that.
Meanwhile, for your own view of file formats, you can try to save a
small image in tiff, png, pdf and jpeg and compare the image sizes.  if
you are scanning greyscale images, you can save the png's with
Image->Mode->Greyscale and make an even greater size difference with not
very much color loss.  you can also make png's bigger than necessary as
well, if you save it with an alpha channel that you do not need -- png's
are not perfect either.

when i spoke of gimp "not liking tiffs" it was a simple way of saying
that not all the information about them is available to the free apps
and there is nothing that the developers can say about how they were or
are designed.  you are on the free software chain and for so many
reasons it is better to use the formats that have always worked well for
free.

sorry to ramble on like this,
carol