On Sunday 24 April 2005 15:42, Carol Spears wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 24, 2005 at 11:43:00AM -0600, jim feldman wrote:
> >  my options are tiff, jpg and pdf.? Of possible interest is that
> > if I read in (using TC set to 400mb) one of the big tiff's, write
> > it back out as a xcf (GIMP native), set the TC up to 600, read
> > back the xcf, and it still crashes with the same errors.
> >
> >  why doesn't GIMP like TIFF?

Actually,once an image is loaded, there is absolutely no difference
for GIMP were it came from.

Ys, you had hit a bug, and yes, the best action is file a bug at
bugzilla about it.

The only time it crashes is int eh decompose filter? Fine - it
deserves a bug report, nonetheless, and if you could provide a
traceback of the crash (as an attachemtn to the bug report), it would
be an advance.

As for your work - what did you say you were uisng the decompose
filter? To get a P&B version of the image?
Anyway, try filters->colors->color mixer - if it won't have the same
problens, it will allow you to do your work.

If you only need a PB version, even better is
layers->colors->desaturate

Regards,
        JS
        -><-