Hi Jim,

Though I have never worked with such large images, don't you think it
would be a good idea to save each TIFF as XCF, do whatever you want to
do on XCF and then save the modified XCF as TIFF again?  May be odd
behavior will go away that way because XCF is the native file format.
May be increasing the tile cache will work with the XCF!

Best regards

Asif