On Monday 25 April 2005 01:17, Andrew Robinson wrote:
> I'm trying to build menus for DVDs which are sensitive to the
> number of colors in the pgn files. I've got two related (I think)
> questions concerning coloring in The Gimp.
>
> I want to create a layer with text on it that will be used as
> labels for buttons. I want the text to be in a single color and the
> layer to have a transparent background. That should total to two
> colors in the layer. When I create the layer and then save it as a
> png file, it winds up with about 10 colors. I assume this is
> because of antialiasing, but I'm not experienced enough with The
> Gimp to know. How would I create the text in a single color?
>
> Second, I want to change the color of text on the first layer to
> generate a png file that will be used to indicate highlighted
> buttons. How do I change all the non-transparent pixels in a layer
> from one color to another? I've tried painting and bucket-fill of
> each character, but that is tedious and generates yet more colors
> per layer, I suppose because of feathering. There seems like there
> should be a simpler way.
>
> Thanks!

You have to work with an indexed image to have absolute control over
color.
COnvert your image do indexed (Image->mode->indexed), pick two colors,
and no dithering.

Aftwerwards, open the Color Map dialog (Dialogs->colormap), within
which you can easily replace a color on the whole image at once.

If you prefer otherwise, work on RGB mode, and use teh "Select by
color" tool, changing the threshold, to replace a color on the image
- and before you save, do the indexing of the image.

Regards,
        JS
        -><-