On Wed, Apr 27, 2005 at 06:21:47PM -0700, Akkana Peck wrote:
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:
> > I want to include full page images of a magazine article in a new document.
> > A single scanned page comes in at about 3.5 MB as a png (saved directly to
> > png from the scan).  Any suggestions as
> > to how I might reduce that?
>
> Try Image->Mode->Indexed, and play with the number of colors to
> get it as small as you can manage while still looking good.
> Then save it, still using png format.

Wonderful!  I knew about indexing in relation to GIFs.  Didn't know PNG
could to indexing.  Is there anything more intelligent than trial and error
for determining how few colours will do while preserving the quality of the
page (there is a graphic on the page I am scanning that I would like to look
decent).

Thanks for the idea.

GC