> Wonderful!  I knew about indexing in relation to GIFs.  Didn't know
> PNG could to indexing.  Is there anything more intelligent than trial
> and error for determining how few colours will do while preserving
> the quality of the page (there is a graphic on the page I am scanning
> that I would like to look decent).

You can do the indexing manually with the Posterize tool. I don't know if it
matches any of the indexing options presented by the mode conversion, but it
will reduce colors.

BTW, you should never use any dithering option when indexing an image
intended to be saved as PNG - the compression gets better than there are
large areas of one color.

HTH,
Michael

10 GB Mailbox, 100 FreeSMS  http://www.gmx.net/de/go/topmail