Sorry if this has been discussed before but I have the need to do it. Are there any plans to make Gimp 16 bit compatible so that 16 bit images (e.g. photos) are not transformed to 8 bit. I know there have been plans but have not seen anything. What would be necessary in terms of programming to do it? As I see it this is one of the most important issues to address in order to compete with e.g. P.S. since 16 bit images are now becoming more and more usual and quite improtant to some of us who work with larger dynamic range pictures.