David Marrs wrote:

Sometimes the GIMP helps me, sometimes it hinders me. That's how it is. Not being a programmer, there's not much I can do directly to change it. And since you'd rather I bite my lip about it, it's unlikely that anybody else will do anything about it either.

Actually, that was a bit of a terse reply, now that I read it back. I can appreciate that you may well have put a lot into the GIMP as a developer and would like to see a bit of encouragement from its users. I *am* very grateful for the GIMP and think it says much for the spirit of free software. I also think it has some way to go before it becomes a mature product, but I think that it is only a matter of time before it is at least on a par with products like Photoshop, unless software patents beat us to it.

But I would like to see more direct involvement with the users. It seems that you have the developers on the one hand and the users on the other. The developers provide a new release, the users assess it, the developers consider the criticism and the cycle continues. Inkscape has a much more social nature. Everyone chips in; it feels very much like it's our software. There are requests for users to help out in various ways and everyone can help somehow if he wants to. There's also a clear roadmap so that we can see what's coming and make suggestions about how certain features might be implemented. Their mailing list is much more optimistic because, I think, users feel that this is their project that they are helping make. I'm not sure that users feel that way about the GIMP. I don't, to be honest.

-- No virus found in this outgoing message. Checked by AVG Anti-Virus. Version: 7.0.308 / Virus Database: 266.11.0 - Release Date: 29/04/2005