I'm surprised nobody has hacked on that before. After all, it's all
there: Parasites that gets saved with the image/layer, a python module
that can update the editor-view live, a complete scripting language with
I spend a handful of hours trying to make a proof-of-concept. See what
1) Make a test image with a background and a transparent layer with say
a filled small rectangle.
2) Python-fu / Alchemy / Layer Style
3) Drag the slider
4) Close the dialog
5) Save the image and close it
6) Reopen the image
7) Select either the original gizmo layer or the auto-generated style
8) Invoke Python-fu / Alchemy / Layer Style again and play with the
There's a HUGE TODO list on that script, but the necessary basics are
proven available although IT IS SLOW! But there are room for
optimization, especially with a little help from the real pros who knows
what is fast and what is slow.
WARNING: Cheap tricks such as this will become obsolete once GEGL is
ready, I can image.. :)
P.S.: All my letters to this list seem to bounce.