Sven Neumann wrote:

It was you who set it up that way. The default action of all selection
tools is of course to replace the existing selection. The currently
active mode is always shown in the tool-options.

Hmm, I can't imagine when I did this, but I suppose I must have clicked on one of the other buttons at some point. It would be nice if there was a toolbar in the canvas window itself with the main tool options repeated there. That would make it easier to tell at a glance what tool and option is selected. I know this can already be worked out from the cursor icon, but those who are new to GIMP probably won't understand what all the symbols mean and might not think to look in the toolkit window.

-- No virus found in this outgoing message. Checked by AVG Anti-Virus. Version: 7.0.308 / Virus Database: 266.11.5 - Release Date: 04/05/2005