Alan Horkan wrote:
[please trim the subject line in your responses]

Ok. :)

I think most users are frustrated by the gimp and less frustrated by
photoshop and the easiest way for them to express that is to make simple
comparisons rather than being able to suggest better ways to do things.

Yeah, this makes sense. :)

What can the GNU Image Manipulation Program do that Adobe Photoshop cannot
do?  Please do tell.  I have recently pointed out that the gimp allows you
to have files with multiple layers in Indexed Mode and photoshop does not.
I would like to be able to expand on this list of things I know the gimp
can do better.

I would very sincerely be interested to know other things you can do with
the GNU Image manipulation program that cannot be done with other
software, particuarly things that cannot be done in Adobe Photoshop.

Some have already posted some features Gimp has PhotoShop doesn't and/or things Gimp does PhotoShop can't do or can't do as well. I haven't spent a lot of time using PhotoShop and I installed a trial version of PhotoShop Elements to check it out. I don't know how elements differs from the "full-blown" version of PhotoShop.

Here are some things I found I couldn't do with PhotoShop Elements and I'm sure someone will correct me if they are possible with the full-blown PhotoShop:

*) Take screenshots. I often take screenshots of Gimp or other apps, if not the desktop. The cool thing about doing it *within* the graphics app is I can immediately scale, resize, or otherwise manipulate the image without having to use one app to take the screenshot and another to do the manipulation.

*) Have a finer granularity of control over sharpening images. With PS Elements, I could keep clicking the "sharpen more" menu option to sharpen the image I had loaded. With Gimp, I can dial-in the precise amount of sharpening I want using the "sharpen" filter. I didn't think to compare the number or types of sharpening filters that came with Gimp vs PS Elements.

*) The ability to perform manipulations on multiple images at once. I was running an effects filter on a rather large image while I had 3 or 4 other images loaded. I'm running on a Pentium II 350MHz machine w/ 256MB of RAM and given my application mix, I had at least double that (if not more) allocated, meaning I was definitely using swap. I'm running on Linux. This one filter was taking its time to run, given the size of the image, and I was able to start other filters and work on the other images while that first filter was running. I was also scanning images while running the filter, etc. I don't know what kind of simultaneous multi-image processing capabilities PS has. I didn't think to try this with PS Elements, unfortunately.

Those are three things I have personal experience with, at least with Gimp.  :)