Sven Neumann wrote:
On a totally unrelated topic, I haven't seen any announcement on the
mailing lists for gimp 2.2.7 yet ;) From the changelog, it is mainly
a small-bug fixes, but there is one line with the word "memleak"

What are you trying to tell us with these vague statements?

That 1) an announcement of Gimp 2.2.7 would be welcome on the gimp-devel and gimp-user mailing lists. I do not usually check the web site.

And that 2) if the announcement could contain some explanations on what is new and or what important bugs were corrected, it would be also nice :)
Is it highly recommended to upgrade ?
Here is what I could gather from the changelog:

fixes for bugs
#303371 (tile-cache-size > 4GB causes warnings)
#303379 (Typo in description of gimp_image_scale)
#164281 ("Resize window on Zoom" feature is overzealous)
#164061 (lighten only (layer mode))
#302400 (close dialog's labels included in focus chain)
#302075 (Lightning Effects plugin - artifacts in transparent background)
#151767 (File descriptor leak in egg_recent_model_add_full)
#301557 (Saving of grayscale TIFF fails ("Bits/sample must be 1 for Group 3/4 encoding/decoding"))
#301523 (Thumbnail of filters preview is not selection aware)
#301524 ("reload gradients" in gflare)
#301432 (New PDF files have large gap at top of image)
#301028 (.xcf text layers no longer editable as text on re-open)
#301033 (Layer previews do not update if colormap is changed)

other changes without bug numbers
* plug-ins/pygimp/plug-ins/ don't reset the passed parameters to default values. Spotted by Joao S. O. Bueno Calligaris.
* tools/pdbgen/pdb/image.pdb: plugged a small memleak.
* plug-ins/common/mail.c (create_headers): set charset to UTF-8.
* plug-ins/common/newsprint.c: Redo comment for spot_PSsquare
and spot_PSdiamonds, since the code was not a derived work in
the copyright sense. It is a C implementation of the same
* libgimp/gimpdrawable.[ch] (gimp_drawable_get_tile)
(gimp_drawable_get_tile2): cleanup gint/gboolean confusion (spotted
by Maurits Rijk).
* app/app_procs.c: register handler for the "GimpPaint" log domain.

Of course, I would not have had to go and dig in bugzilla if the web site annoucement had contained a link to this: