> Here are some things I found I couldn't do with PhotoShop
> Elements and I'm sure
> someone will correct me if they are possible with the
> full-blown PhotoShop:
>
> *)  Take screenshots.  I often take screenshots of Gimp or
> other apps, if not
> the desktop.  The cool thing about doing it *within* the
> graphics app is I can
> immediately scale, resize, or otherwise manipulate the image
> without having to
> use one app to take the screenshot and another to do the manipulation.

On my PC with Photoshop I simply press Print Screen on my keyboard, go into
Photoshop, make a new image and ctrl+v to paste the screenshot. When making a
new image (e.g. File/New), the screenshot dimensions are automatically
detected. If I didn't have this basic "PRNT SCREEN" capability working, or I
wanted a more automation with multiple screenshots, I would probably use
HyperSnap DX or some other screenshot program.

Seems like a lot of GIMP users are interested in taking screenshots and
sharpening them... what gives? =)

> *)  Have a finer granularity of control over sharpening
> images.  With PS
> Elements, I could keep clicking the "sharpen more" menu
> option to sharpen the
> image I had loaded.  With Gimp, I can dial-in the precise
> amount of sharpening I
> want using the "sharpen" filter.  I didn't think to compare
> the number or types
> of sharpening filters that came with Gimp vs PS Elements.

Photoshop's Sharpen filters do need updating. They have been like that for
years I think. It's strange that you get no dialog when doing the basic
"Sharpen". It just runs with whatever defaults it has.