John R. Culleton wrote:
I am familiar with jpeg, png, tiff, eps and so on image formats.
But what format is an MSWindows desktop icon in? Is it one of the
well-known formats or is it a format all its own? I know the
suffix is .ico and it is in RGB color model.

An MS Windows desktop icon is in the .ico format. It means "Icon" format. A .ico format is well known too, as it is almost every icon's format. But don't get confused with formats. If you need help regarding formats go to, almost all formats are in their database. Hope I helped.