Helen wrote:
I'm using an HP Deskjet 5550, on good-quality photo paper.
My prints lose color in less than a year.
Is there a way to prolong the life of a print, other than an
extremely expensive giclee printer?

Just an idea - photo shops (online or real shops) can do prints on real photo paper (the stuff real photos are done with) - for these shops it doesn't matter whether the picture comes from a digital camera or from a graphic program like GIMP.

I don't know what the costs are where you live - here it is a few Euro-cents per 10cm*15cm (4" by 6") print.

Andreas