On Fri, Jun 10, 2005 at 01:02:56AM +0200, Andreas Waechter wrote:
> Helen wrote:
> >I'm using an HP Deskjet 5550, on good-quality photo paper.
> >My prints lose color in less than a year.
> >Is there a way to prolong the life of a print, other than an
> >extremely expensive giclee printer?
>
> Just an idea - photo shops (online or real shops) can do
> prints on real photo paper (the stuff real photos are done
> with) - for these shops it doesn't matter whether the
> picture comes from a digital camera or from a graphic
> program like GIMP.
>
> I don't know what the costs are where you live - here it is
> a few Euro-cents per 10cm*15cm (4" by 6") print.

i would like to second this opinion.  my friend and i were standing in
an evil yet very inexpensive store comparing prices.  the roll of paper
that was special cut to print 4x6 inch photos, each photo printed would
have costed 40 cents a piece.  that number presumes that each print you
make is good (not a mistake).  the price they charged for single
reprints was 26 cents per photograph of the same size.

more than that, the people working at the counter were intelligent,
approachable and knowledgible about what the machines could do -- or at
the very least, honest and able to tell me who to speak with.  as cheap
as i am, i have no desire to see these services or people go away.  i
would rather see more of them.

if you are making prints of your art via photograph printer facilities,
there are a few things to watch out for.  i was trying to print a poster
that was mostly black and the machine they use auto fixes this.  it
caused the image parts to print washed out.  if you are printing
artwork, it is in your best interests to talk to someone who understands
the machine that will be doing the printing.  for this location, it was
the simple task of writing on the envelope instructions to not color
correct the print.  the poster turned out fine, even beautiful and it
was extremely (in my opinion) inexpensive.

i come from a long line of do-it-yourselfers, however, the same line
seems to have a threshold for quality.

and more news from the print world, they still do not let the raw
information about the color profiling out to the general public.  i do
not know what it takes to have access to this information yet either.
for my dollar, i still remember what the manager of the print shop told
me about how to handle converting images from rgb to whatever that
machine would prefer it in.  he said "let the machine do the
conversion", the more i read about the way it is done, the more i really
really believe in this suggestion.

on one hand, you can believe it is working.  on the other hand, you can
believe that someone who actually understands it has set up the crazy
chain of events and table reading and converting to actually work.  i
tend to believe the other hand more than the one hand.

thanks for reading this,
carol