I'm a GIMP noobie and so have been following the Simple Floating Logo
tutorial on the web site and struggling to apply it to my GIMP 2.2.6.

As a learning exercise, I set out to create a banner. After having
created a background layer I set up a text layer.

A secondary question is how to anchor it. When I do C-h, nothing
changes. Is anchoring necessary in a simple project like this, and how
do I know one layer is anchored upon another. One text seems to iply
that in the Layers Dialog, to the right of the eye icon, the button
acquires an anchor symbol. If I click tha button, I get a link
symbol. I mention this only because it may be relevant to my primary
question.

After having created the text layer (and anchored it?), I want to do a
color inversion. First I select the layer in the Layers Dialog (don't
know how to do it yet from keyboard), and with the image frame
focused, I type C-i. All this does is to give the background a dotted
outline and the text layer a mobile wavy outline.

If instead I use the menu and do Layer,Colors,Invert, the black text
turns the color of its background (white) and so disappears because
the area around the text does not turn black. I should be getting
white text on a black ground.

Sorry for such an elementary question.

Haines Brown