I'm a Gimp newbie and I'm trying to create my company 'black text' logo on a transparent background and save it as a jpg to be used on my web site.

Transparency and jpg are (AFAIK) a contradiction - jpg doesn't support transparency.

I'm doing fine with the whole process except the transparancy issue. Every time I try this I end up with my text logo on a white background. How do I get a transparent background when saving to a jpg format?

Use a different file format (e.g. png or gif support transparency - where png's transparency is not fully supported by Internet Explorer, IE only uses transparency in png in indexed mode)

Andreas