>I have two 'picture halves'  (JPEG), that I would like to 'combine' in one
>single .jpg-file - is this 'doable' at all, using the GIMP?

Open both images. In one (the left hand side)

Image->Scale Canvas  And double the X axis size (unlink the Y axis by clicking
on the "chain" icon.

Go to the right side layers dialogue and drag the layer into the left side
picture. Now drag the new layer to where you want it.

Hope this helps and is what you were asking about.
Timothy Jedlicka, [EMAIL PROTECTED], 1-630-713-4436, AOL-IM=tjbonzo
Network Entomologist, Lucent Technologies, LWS NOVE Lab Operations