Sven Neumann wrote:
Are you using the pencil tool perhaps? The one and only purpose of the
pencil tool is to have a hard edge aligned with the pixel grid.

No, I'm using the brush tool. And there are no hard edges. The brush just seems to align with the pixel grid anyway.

There's a screenshot of a "jagged" curve in a GIMP window. As you can see, the lines are unnaturally straight. There's no way I could draw that straight if the brush was locking itself to the pixel grid, considering that the tablet has a 2000 or so DPI resolution.