I'm trying to make rounded corners using the tutorial below with Gaussian Blur IIR and Levels 119-1-135:

It works when I put a black rectangle on a white background but not when I try to put a white rectangle on a dark tan (B9BA9E) background.

It also doesn't seem to work when I try to apply that to a rectangle on a transparent layer.

I'm trying to create a white box with two rounded corners and a shadow on all sides on a dark tan background. Is there something I am doing wrong or another way to achieve the same goal?