On 7/27/05, Jim <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> A B wrote:
> > I'm converting a huge load of sprites from a game into ones suitable
> > for use in another (from Myth II to Doom) and of course this involves
> > a huge amount of repetitive actions- to change the image mode from
> > indexed to RGB, back to indexed but with the Doom palette, and then to
> > go through all the hundreds of seperate frames and manually replace
> > the blue (of hexadecimal reference 0000FF) with another colour
> > (00FFFF). Since it is entirely repetitive, I reckoned batch
> >
> I too would like to know how to write batch scripts for gimp. I've used
> convert before but what I need to do can't be accomplished with that
> program.
> I have read the one page tutorial on batch mode,
> http://www.gimp.org/tutorials/Basic_Batch/ and have copied and pasted
> the script and commands and they don't work.
> Anyone have a better tutorial that they can point us to?

To be honest, no, because documentation is absolutely horrid in GIMP.
However, you may wish to investigate books on Perl and Python, as well
as Web Documentation on Scheme, Script-Fu and SIOD.  In The GIMP,
there is a SIOD console, and the procedure viewer lists the prototypes
for the commands that can be accessed by scripts.  BTW, the procedure
browser lists commands with an underscore, but my version of the SIOD
(Scheme) interpreter in the console uses dashes in places of the

First, you may wish to investigate the file_glob, and then things such
as gimp-file-open or whatever it was called.  You might also want to
look up the colour exchange and the like (I believe the commands are
prefixed with plugin- or something).

Although at this rate, surely it must have been faster to do it
manually by hand than go through the trouble of scripting with GIMP?
Unless you plan to due this often, repetitively, to many large
batches, it's probably faster to do it by hand.

I'm new at scripting too, however, so I can't suggest a better method
(I don't even know if this is the _recommended_ method of scripting).

Consider asking gimp-developer, since apparently that was supposed to
be the designate mailing list for script/plugin development.  *shrugs*

 - Just my two cents