This is off topic for Gimp users, but since you guys work with graphics
a lot, I was hoping someone might know the answers.

Anyone knows what is the name of the technique for creating an image
(collage) out of thousands of images matched by colors, shades, etc.?
Also, if there are any tools in perl or java for creating one?

Another question is about a Gimp function. Is there a way to do in Java
what Gimp does when I select Layer/Colors/Levels/Auto?

Any pointers on either of the questions would be most appreciated.