On Mon, Aug 15, 2005 at 07:03:00PM -0400, michael chang wrote:

> > > Sounds fair.  Would it be ideal to have last week's contributions
> > > shown on the weekends (or two any other days of the week)?  E.g. Week
> > > 1, Day one, results recieved on day 6, shown on week 2.
> > >
> > i would first need to understand that before i could even consider it.
> Monday - Friday: Show "resource of the day".
> Saturday, Sunday:  Show "resources of the past week, in use"
> Better?
no, not really. sorry.

> > > Well, people have reimplemented stuff before (e.g. Apache 2, and other
> > > 2 projects) -- sometimes you learn lots of things after doing things
> > > the first time around that you can re apply.  Or sometimes it's nice
> > > to take a different look at things.
> > >
> > this is not a reimplementation.  it should build on something that
> I was referring to me, reimplementing your script...
i am so very confused now.  you will be reimplementing my script in perl
to use on your website?

> > worked fine.  the software that is.  gamers.org left it broken in
> > gnomecvs and it magically became fixed just in time for the last contest
> Magically? Figures.
well, not magically.  i asked the system admin for wgo if we could get
the contest going easily or not.  he looked at it and made it work
easily.  something like this.

it was nice to drag that software quickly out of the old project and
have it work so well.  one of the coolest things about it was that it
deomonstrated how the gimp-user group was able to learn to deal with
a primative upload system and from each other.

it is a nice group that you do not have to completely idiot proof a web
apparatus for.  so a couple of doses of stuff that looks like magic but
really isn't.

> > needing a reliable server.  then it worked for the gnome splash contest.
> >
> > > Have you tried perl?  It seems readily available for web usage (IIRC
> > > most CGI scripts are written in either Perl or C++), and handles text
> > > rather well, as well as a couple of other things...
> >
> > no, do you think it would work better?
> Perl, IIRC, has been used for dynamic page creation for ages, and
> contains modules to dynamically create pages on-the-fly, and handle
> various other CGI tasks.  (Among other things, it can also reformat
> text, and take a binary file and pass it to a user in a browser.)
well, there you go.  the system admin for my web server is one of the
people i think are punishing me for too long for making the mistake of
asking a perl question on #gimp from.

perhaps this is the reason i see python in the cgi-bin as well.

> > i have an ongoing theory about the destruction that has befallen my
> > life; occasionally, everything makes sense if i blame it all on daring
> > to ask perl questions via the irc on #gimp.
> Oh ho ho.  Have you read the documentation that comes packaged with
> Perl?  If you use linux, install the perl-doc package (or whatever)
> and read the results in "perldoc perldoc" and "perldoc perl".  If you
> use Windows, get the ActiveState installer, and open up the
> documentation viewer, by default, at "C:\perl\html\index.html".  [I
> personally read this version in Firefox in Linux when working with my
> computer...]
yes, my question to you is have you read those perl docs?  i recently
spent sometime poking around in the gimp perl scripts.  perl seems to
allow some tricks that you really have to work at to get python to do.
maybe this is just a condition of gimp perl stuff.

i read some of those perl docs.  did you read them and find them useful?

> > i have seen python scripts used in the cgi-bin.
> True.  But, then again, I've always worked with free web hosts to date
> (icky) and the ones that support scripting use Perl.  PHP is too
> user-friendly (so they will make people pay for it), and I don't see
> Python *that* often on these sites.
i spent about a week working with a php script.  it seemed to take a
year to get rid of the smell of chauvinism from my life encounters after
this.  i think they are related.  the question is, pay for access to

> > > Sounds like a good idea.  A tarball is definately a bad idea, but that
> > > said, we still want to make things available when people want them.
> > > Static serving is good for this.
> > >
> > tomorrows task will be to make the script only write a link to the
> > different r-o-d if its page has been modified since its creation.
> Hum.
well, this apparatus is now almost installed.  i have now succeeded in
making at the very least a little documentation project for myself.
this blog could actually be used to make me go through my thousands of
digicam pictures, one image a day.  notify me when i have finished
cleaning one directory.  how nice.  are you taking notes on this for
your sourceforge project?

> > i do not know about that.  a lot depends on whether my script sends all
> > that crap to my web site or not before anything can be said about python
> > and its learning curve.
> You could always generate the content *on* the website, as opposed to
> sending it to the website... just upload all the gradients and whatnot
> and your script first, and then have the script serve it to you.
the web server has python2.2 and i use python2.3.  when whatever of this
i am writing is working on the gimp web site, the server should have
python2.3.  the gimp web server, interestingly enough, does not have
gimp installed as well.  since it reads the systems gimp files, this
would be a problem.

> > this is not unlike how i read the ChangeLog, however:
> > http://carol.gimp.org/writing/listsoflists/cgo-Y3K.html
> How sad.
yes.  there will be a big Y2.01 scare on cgo.  i am already storing
cases of tap water and macaroni and cheese dinners in case of disaster.

> > i am too old and blameless to learn c++.
> Well, I don't really use C++ -- and I believe I've deleted all the
> things I've done in C++ to date.  Once, I had a CLI (Command Line
> Interface) version of the game Mancala.  Of course, a nearly identical
> version, except with an AI, and a GUI (graphical user inteface), was
> nicely packaged in a package on Linux, so I got rid of my little
> program.  It was an interesting exercise though, and gave me something
> to brag about to my friends. ^^
what exactly does it do?