On Mon, Sep 19, 2005 at 03:11:31PM -0500, Mike Campbell wrote:
> I'm trying to create a button halo as shown in the image at
> http://www.freewebs.com/knievel/tipstricks.htm but not having much luck. I
> have been playing with bordered selections and stroking a selection but
> can't quite get the same effect as show here. Can anyone give me a hand on
> how to do this?
>
> I can create the rounded rectangle and fill it with black and then reduce
> the transparency to 50%. So far so good. The problem is the halo affect.
> Please help me out.

are you trying to use selections?

the Simple Floating Logo tutorial at www.gimp.org tells indirectly how
to get this same effect.  it is an old tutorial, originally written for
gimp-1.0, so things work a little differently now -- but not that
differently.

if you are able to get the shape you want in a selection, transform the
selection into a path and use the Stroke Path dialog to make the white
on black part for the tutorial.  after that, use the tutorial as if your
shape is text.  you might need to fiddle with the settings to get the
right sort of transparency for the tubular look i see there.

selections are actually layer masks -- and if you watch the Channel
Dialog while working with them, you will see that.

i have found that simple jobs are done very nicely with Selections but
if you really would like to have control over your efforts,
understanding how layers can and do work is the very best way to handle
and work with GIMP.

let me and the mail list know if you are successful and which method
worked best for you!  everyone has different experiences and successes
and i am curious about all of them.

actually, not getting it to work is just as interesting to me....

carol