OK, OK, I'm convinced.  The first time I  read "clone" I thought it was a way to work on a copy of the original so I didn't  screw it up.  Now I get the message.  It only takes about 5 swings of the 2x4 to get my attention.  Thanks to all.  I've learned something .  While this isn't perfect I don't think the casual  observer will notice.  Since this is my first "cloning" experiment, I'm satisfied with the results.  If anyone wants to see the results, check out

Thanks for the help.

On 9/26/05, Carol Spears <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
On Mon, Sep 26, 2005 at 01:32:00PM -0400, Jim Lynch wrote:
> No, not MJ. I have a nice picture I'd like to print and frame but it has the
> stupid date/time string in yellow in the corner. I have subsequenly turned
> off the date stamp so that won't happen again. Fortunately, maybe, the stamp
> is in a field of nice green grass, so I was hoping somehow I could replace
> the solid color (yellow) of the stamp with something that looks like grass.
> Any suggestions on how I might go about that? I've used gimp for simple
> things, like brightness, contrast, and cropping but replacing colors and
> doing things with layers is beyond me at this time. Can anyone help?
if i read your question correctly, this is a job for the clone tool.

you give the clone tool a brush and ctl click on some of the grass near
to the area you wish to cover and make certain that Aligned is toggled
in the Tool Options.