On Wed, Oct 12, 2005 at 02:44:47PM +0200, Simon Budig wrote:
> Timo ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
> > On Thu, 2005-10-06 at 09:13 +0300, Timo wrote:
> > > I have PNG images which specify an offset (oFFs). When I try to open
> > > these as layers, Gimp ignores the offset and centers the image. Am I
> > > doing something wrong?
> > >
> > > Opening the images in normal way works as expected although Gimp could
> > > automatically make the canvas oversized so that it can hold the image.
> >
> > No answers yet. Am I too impatient or should I take this to an other
> > list?
> The only thing I can tell you is, that there is code in the PNG plugin
> to handle offsets. I don't have any such images available, so I cannot
> verify this though.

Incidentally, an easy way to create one is to use ImageMagick to crop the
PNG.  Last I checked, it stores the oFFs chunk, which when opening the image
in GIMP, causes the layer to be offset.

The issue at hand is that if you open the image as a layer (rather than as
an image), the offset is ignored and the layer is centered.  I would be
interested to know if you have a selection when you open the image as layer,
does it center the layer on the selection (it would be consistent with the
floating layer's behaviour.

Computer Science is as much about computers as astronomy is about telescopes
        -- Edsger Wybe Dijkstra (1930-2002)