On Wed, 2005-10-12 at 13:44 -0400, Jeffrey Brent McBeth wrote:
> Incidentally, an easy way to create one is to use ImageMagick to
> crop the PNG.

I can create them with GIMP too; I crop a layer and then, the layer
being selected, 'Save as' => 'Ignore' => 'OK' ('Save layer offset'

> Last I checked, it stores the oFFs chunk, which when opening the
> image in GIMP, causes the layer to be offset.

Same here

> The issue at hand is that if you open the image as a layer (rather
> than as an image), the offset is ignored and the layer is centered.

> I would be interested to know if you have a selection when you open
> the image as layer, does it center the layer on the selection (it
> would be consistent with the floating layer's behaviour.

Selection seems not to affect the behaviour in any way. I tried with no
selection, the whole image selected and a small portion of the image
selected. Opening a small offsetted image as layer came up always at the
center of the whole image.