On Sat, Oct 15, 2005 at 09:40:26PM +0200, Felix E. Klee wrote:
> At Fri, 14 Oct 2005 13:48:59 +0200,
> Felix E. Klee wrote:
> > I want to bend an grayscale image's gray level curve so that three
> > input levels are turned into three output levels.  For all six levels
> > I have the precise values, for example acquired with the color picker
> > tool.
> >
> > So far, I've played with the tools in the right mouse button menu
> > "tools / color tools", but unsuccessfully.
> >
> > Any suggestions?
>
> Being desperate, I fired up Micrografx Picture Publisher 5.0a, an old
> Win 3.1 program.  It's capabilities for doing color correction are quite
> powerful, even when measured by today's standards.  Similarly to the
> Gimp it offers a dialog box for adjusting color curves, and in addition
> to manipulating points on the curve with the mouse, one can enter point
> coordinates with the keyboard.  This is perfect for solving the problem
> I described in my original posting.
>
> Now, although Picture Publisher 5.0a is still a very nice tool, it does
> have a number of disadvantages, especially when it comes to handling
> modern file formats.  Also, it - of course - doesn't run natively under
> LINUX.  That's why I try to do more and more tasks with the Gimp, and
> that's why I still would like to hear about a simple solution for my
> problem with the Gimp.

to be honest, i thought about the levels tool when i first read this but
i really do not know so much about what it is you want.

have you tried the levels tool?  perhaps you could show via images what
it is you are looking for?

maybe what you need is that a plug-in be written.  even this works
better if there is a paper or a presentation at one of those graphics
meetings -- anything like that would help.  there is a python call to
the levels tool:
pdb['gimp-levels'](drawable, channel, low-input, high-input, gamma,
low-output, high-output)

and i have an example of elementary use of the tool here:
http://carol.gimp.org/gimp2/photography/clarity/ i just had a strong
feeling that you wanted more.

carol