Thanks Yosh for the definitive answer. I've never looked at the gimp's code base so that would be a huge effort for me to fix this small problem.

I tried Carol's solution of a custom gimprc and that seems to be a good enough solution. In order to get it to work I had to first load the standard plugins so my gimprc looked like the following:

(plug-in-path "/home/robert/custom-plug-ins:/usr/lib/gimp/2.0/plug-ins")

The directories will probably change when the gimp version changes but since the scripts will likely have to be changed as well it's not a big deal.

Thanks to everyone for their help!