Vassilis Chryssos wrote:

Hello all.

This is what I'm trying to achieve: I have a topographical chart (curves
that depict the height of a territory) which I want to use as a
heightmap for blender. Blender uses gradient grayscale images to raise
the pixels of a plane according to the "whiteness" of each pixel (i.e.
the white pixel will be raised to the higher level, whereas black pixel
will remain to the bottom. The in-between pixels will be raised
according to their value of white).
With this in mind someone must create a grayscale gradient image out of
the topographical chart.
Could someone suggest a smart way to apply grayscale gradient to the
image according to the height specified by the curves?

I have not tried anything like this.  For the US the National Elevation
Database provides excellent DEM at 1/3 arc sec granularity.

Here is a ref that describes the kind of process you are interested in:

I would recommend getting the SRTM DEM data for your area of interest.
It is provided in 1 degree squares.  There are various programs such as
MicroDEM which can convert the DEM data into raster images, and also
generate 3d views with selectable height exaggeration.

I believe this link is for the current processed SRTM version 2 which I
think is the latest (or maybe final) version.

scott s.