BandiPat wrote:

It's simple, Apple strangles the Unix that is on the machine. If you had a straight install of Unix without anything Apple over or under it, you would see a dramatic increase in speed also.

I read an article a few months ago about the problems associated with OS X on their machines. I wish I could remember where it was, so I could point you to it. It's just Apple's way of taking something really good and making it less than perfect with their add ons. Every user I've talked to or article I've read remarks how much faster Linux is on the PPC than OS X. It's a great cpu, sadly Apple didn't want it to appear that way.

Hmm. I did see an article a while back talking about perf issues with apache --- I think it had something to do with context switches taking longer than on linux... But that shouldn't affect the Gimp much...

And I'm not sure I buy the argument that Mac OS X is just slower --- like I said, photoshop was about 15 times faster that the Gimp at doing an unsharp mask on an 800 mhz g4 on mac os x.

Warren