On Tue, Dec 06, 2005 at 10:05:52PM -0800, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Here's an image showing the two images I started with (using the Canon raw
> image, I created the two images on the left with different exposures), and
> the mask I created using the threshold:
>
> http://www.aracnet.com/~patman/gimp/gimp-snapshot.jpg
>
> Using the above with layer masks, (plus the invert of the threshold mask),
> I can create the following two (below on left and right), and then combine
> these in two layers with "addition" mode to create the final image on the
> far right:
>
> http://www.aracnet.com/~patman/gimp/gimp-final.jpg
>
> The final image is not much better than the darker image I started with :-(
>
> Anyway, it's just hard to get good photos with a snow background,
> especially white-on-white of the dog and snow.
>
> I have another image I want to try this on, even if this didn't get
> much improvment.

you have managed to provide an image that is as confusing as what you
have described :)

congrats :)

the xcf would have told me almost everything that i needed -- but i did
not ask for that.

i think that what you would like to do will be more easily accomplished
if you mask only the upper layer.  what ever pixels are not transparent
will block the same pixels from the layer below.

you can make whatever color adjustments to the color of the snow
background on the lower layer (the levels tool is really nice for this)
and handle the color of the puppy in the masked layer.

the way to access the image part of a masked layer is to use the mouse
to select the image icon in the Layers dialog.  there is a menu in that
dialog that allows you to see the mask in the image as well.

the things that you are doing in this image are very much like the
tutorial i have that makes the sky nicer.  one masked layer and two
separate color changes to the image (or a complete replacement of the
sky, even) is the simplest way to handle that.

carol