On Wed, Dec 07, 2005 at 09:14:28AM -0800, Carol Spears wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 06, 2005 at 10:05:52PM -0800, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> you have managed to provide an image that is as confusing as what you
> have described :)
> congrats :)

Well that is how it goes ...

> the xcf would have told me almost everything that i needed -- but i did
> not ask for that.

The xcf files (from a previous try) are there, under:

> i think that what you would like to do will be more easily accomplished
> if you mask only the upper layer.  what ever pixels are not transparent
> will block the same pixels from the layer below.

I think that is what I've been trying to do. It should make it easier to
fix up the resulting image if I can get all the data (multiple layers and
masks) into one xcf file. The method I have is working, but it is not easy
to fix up the result.

> you can make whatever color adjustments to the color of the snow
> background on the lower layer (the levels tool is really nice for this)
> and handle the color of the puppy in the masked layer.

yes ... I am also using ufraw plug in for white balance / color adjustment
and exposure setting before editing in gimp.

> the way to access the image part of a masked layer is to use the mouse
> to select the image icon in the Layers dialog.  there is a menu in that
> dialog that allows you to see the mask in the image as well.

> the things that you are doing in this image are very much like the
> tutorial i have that makes the sky nicer.  one masked layer and two
> separate color changes to the image (or a complete replacement of the
> sky, even) is the simplest way to handle that.

guess you mean:

The part I am having trouble figuring out would be the "complete
replacement of the sky" technique. I need to add a portion of another
(darker) image, ideally via some layer mask.

-- Patrick Mansfield